Current opening – Market Manager
About Davidson Farmer’s Market
The Davidson Farmer’s Market is located in Davidson, NC. It is a producer only market with about 35 vendors, and it is a 501(c)3 non-profit. The mission is to sponsor a weekly farmer’s market, which provides locally grown food, educates the public about nutrition and the importance of eating locally grown foods and offers musical entertainment, special events and cooking and other demonstrations to create a community festival for the Town.
The Market Manager is an approximately 30 hour a week salaried position that oversees the weekly Saturday morning market year round and the Mid-Week Market from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. This position provides all administrative functions to insure a successful market. The Market Manager also oversees education and community outreach programs, an important part of our mission. The Manager works under the direction of the Board of Directors with many diverse constituencies – Town of Davidson, Davidson College, volunteers, farmers, vendors, cooperative extension agents, local schools.
- Manages the Saturday market operations from set up at 6 AM to take down at one PM on 44 Saturdays. The Spring and Summer Market is open from 8:00 am until 12:00 pm. The Winter Market is open from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm.
- Manages the Mid-Week Market – from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Manages activities and volunteers for each market – this includes coordinating volunteers, music, chef demos, educational events, fundraisers and community partners.
- Performs all administrative functions including deposits, purchases, vendor billing and receipts, maintenance of donor and grant records, volunteer records, mailing list.
- Works with the board and all of the committees of the Board to insure a professionally run market.
- Maintains a positive relationships with all vendors, holds an Annual Vendor meeting prior to the kick off of the new season.
- Works with the Vendor Committee to solicit and reviews all new vendor applications. Completes farm and/or kitchen visits to all new vendors and existing vendors as needed..
- Works with the volunteer committee to recruit volunteers for set up and take down and other functions such as chef demos, major events, etc. .
- Works with the treasurer to maintain all financial records and insure that spending is within approved budget levels.
- Publishes a weekly newsletter with market offerings, promotional and educational information. Updates the Market website and all social media pages on a regular basis. Works with the Marketing committee to promote the market to increase awareness and customers utilizing the market. This includes the design of market posters and t-shirts
- With the Education/events committee, present events that will educate the public about health and nutrition
- Coordinates with the paid fundraiser to obtains sponsors for each year’s market.
- Is the primary spokesperson to the media, Town of Davidson , the community, and to other markets.
- Works with Davidson College to obtain a summer intern who will support the Market Manager.
- Work with the Town of Davidson to ensure the continued use of town land as well as any changes which may impact the market.
- Actively support the strategic planning process of the board.
- Strong leadership skills. Self directed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, and negotiation ability
- Clear and organized work habits, positive attitude, flexible
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative problem solver
- Able to work with minimal direction
- Commitment to local food sourcing and DFM’s mission
- Skill in program development and management
- Very good computer skills, including excel, word, Constant Contact, WordPress
- Ability to collect and analyze data about the market
- Insured vehicle, valid NC driver’s license, cell phone
- Educational requirement: college degree
- Knowledge of farming or retail is a plus.
- Physically fit and able to lift 40 pounds
- Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject MARKET MANAGER POSITION
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1ST